Bird by Bird II: The Bird Strikes Back


      At about page 30 of Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird, she talks about bad first drafts. Many writers worry about having a strong first draft to base their writing off of. However, Lamott is able to help writers regain their confidence, and focus more on the writing. She tells that even professional writers have bad first drafts and feel bad about them. This helps writers of all skill levels come to the realization that they are not bad because their drafts are less than exemplary.
      This affects me personally, because there have been many times where I scrap a piece of writing that I have worked hard on simply because I know it is bad. However, it would be more beneficial to save the writing to improve on. Also the fact that professional writers go through many rough drafts, and are often upset with them gives me hope for my writing.
      I really enjoy Anne Lamott’s writing so far because she makes reading about writing somewhat fun. She makes plenty of jokes throughout her writing.
      Overall, people shouldn't be worried about how their first draft is. A first draft is the start of a masterpiece if worked on properly, and without the first draft, the masterpiece won't come to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Differences Between Telling and Showing

The Voice in Writing

Bird by Bird VIII: Rogue Bird