Grammar Girl: Who vs. Whom

I chose Grammar Girl's podcast "How to use 'who' vs. 'whom'." The focus of this podcast is to help new writers recognize the difference between "who" and "whom," and when to use them.
The first thing the Grammar Girl makes clear is that "who" is used for subjects, and "whom" is used for objects. The word "objects" didn't initially make sense to me, but as she went on, I realized that they are used for direct objects.

To help remember this, she relates the M in "him", a direct object, to the M in "whom." She also mentions that if the who/whom in question can be replaced with "him," use "whom." This works since they are both direct objects.
When asking a question, think of how it will be answered. For example, if the question is, "Who/Whom at dinner?" the answer would be, "He ate dinner." Therefore, who should be used.
If a question like, "Who/Whom did Ron call yesterday?" existed, the answer would be, "Ron called him." Therefore, the correct word is whom.

This helps me remember this a lot. I initially learned this in 6th grade, but I gradually forgot it over the last few years. With my new understanding of direct objects, it will be easier to remember, and I don't think I will be forgetting it this time, especially since she mentioned the easy way to help remember this. Overall, Grammar Girl's little lesson on who vs whom is very effective at helping people better understand the proper use of whom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Differences Between Telling and Showing

Bird by Bird VIII: Rogue Bird

The Voice in Writing