Bird by Bird VIII: Rogue Bird

    In this week of Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott writes about her last class for teaching her students. One major topic that she talks about is consciousness. This type of consciousness is not literal, but instead refers to how vivid writing should be. This type of writing allows for the text to be more personal to the reader. For an example, if a story has a part involving a kid it is important to reflect on some of the joys that the reader likely had as a child. This will add nostalgia to the piece, making them feel emotionally attached to the writing.
    This is important to me because I struggle with making a piece of writing be more personal to the reader. Whenever I am struggling to find a way to do so, I will think about Anne Lamott’s last lesson she teaches in Bird by Bird.
    I like how Lamott says that if what a writer types is real, then the audience will enjoy it. This got me thinking, and I realized that she’s right. Many people will join a cause if it is presented to them in an honest way. I also liked the poem she referred to.
    Overall, Anne Lamott’s thoughts on consciousness is very accurate. I will benefit from this reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Differences Between Telling and Showing

The Voice in Writing