Bird by Bird IX: Revenge of the Bird

Today in Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird," she writes about giving. Lamott explains the giving can lead to a happier life, and in return keep writing less stressful. In addition to that kind of giving, however, Lamott also explains the importance of giving everything you can to the piece of writing that one is working on. Too many times people are caught up reserving energy. It's human nature. In some areas, like sports, reserving energy can be a good thing. However, when it comes to writing, it is important to give everything one can. It isn't possible to wear out talents and skills that involve writing.

Lamott emphasizes that this is an important step in being a strong writer. If someone gives everything they can on a piece of writing, they will feel proud and accomplished of their work. However, if someone gives their work a good shot, but not give everything they can, then they will end up feeling unsatisfied. This feeling of dissatisfaction can lead to some confidence issues in writing, and these issues could damage future writing.

Also, Lamott explains the importance of giving care. She talks about how giving to others can improve writing too. According to her, giving creates an "innocence" in the writer that allows for them to write in more details about certain emotions.

Lamott is writing this to experienced and inexperienced writers alike, as they both could give more. To me personally, this will help me motivate to give more effort to my papers. I always used to say to myself that I could write a really good book/paper if I gave enough effort, but many times I just give what I need to get a good grade, and my paper could be much better. Overall, Lamott is very wise in sharing how giving can lead to better writing skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Differences Between Telling and Showing

Bird by Bird VIII: Rogue Bird

The Voice in Writing