Bird by Bird IV: The Bird Menace

     Today in Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott talks about broccoli. No, this isn’t literal broccoli. Anne Lamott’s broccoli is described as the instinctive inner voice that people get. This is often the feeling that someone gets when they are being lied to, but it is also connected to writing. Broccoli can be used to accurately describe a scene or character without using too much brain power. 
     I will use the information covered quite often, There are many times in my writing where I struggle to invision an accurate description of a scene, and too often I’m fighting my broccoli. If I were to let my broccoli work, then I would be able to accomplish more with less struggling.
     This writing likely targets novice writers, as skilled writers should already be able to control their broccoli. It will help them learn to utilize their instincts.
     I really like Lammot’s whole reference to the psychologist and his “broccoli”. It adds a fun tone throughout the passage, and it makes learning more enjoyable. Overall, my future use of broccoli is sure to increase my writing skill.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Differences Between Telling and Showing

The Voice in Writing

Bird by Bird VIII: Rogue Bird